Thursday, December 27, 2007

Not One Thing, but the Other

The MG's been getting pretty lousy milage lately. I'm not really sure why, so I figured this was a good time to check it out. The first idea was to make sure the fload in the weber carb was closing the flow properly, but there was a snag.

The weber I installed last year has an electronic choke, which gets in the way of removing the top plate on the carb to get to the float bowl. Thought I could get around it by removing the flap (below) and then sliding out that pin, but those screws you see there are brass. Brass is soft and takes a beating from too much messin' with.


Not having a rebuild kit on hand, and not wanting to really kill this whole thing, I moved on the fuel pump, which has had a bit of a temper in the last 6 months anyway. Well...


I tried installing my back up (that cylindrical thing), but it didn't work.


I didn't discover that it didn't work until I had it all rigged up behind the tired and everything. See that clamp thing? Not even close to standard.


Mid-day, I quit for a while, and made a pastrami sandwich with swiss and spicy mustard:


You might notice there's a lot of floor space behind the sandwhich. That's because I sold my rocking chair, giving myself room to do yoga without having to move anything. This morning, I got up, and I did me some yoga. Yup.

After the sandwich, of course, I tried installing another pump. That one didn't work either. I'll be heading back to the store today to exchange it, then coming home to bench-test it before I install it. Pop says that if the pump is working, I should clean the plugs, and there's a chance the mechanism that goes into the tank is busted. This is exactly what I need, right?

So, I've got a car and a motorcycle, both with fuel delivery problems at the moment. I want the car running by the time I leave for SD. There are bright sides to all of this: a)keeps me from getting lazy with the car stuff; and b) After I brake my ass working under a car all day, a shower and dinner are better than any other I can imagine. I cooked chicken last night. I didn't take a photo--there was no vegetable, and I wasn't proud of that.

We'll see if this project ends today. If not, it'll have to wait until next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts