Sunday, December 9, 2007

399 Years, but not a day over 39.



Good bio and poem over at The Writer's Almanac.  

I happen to love Milton.  Saw an original pamphlet of Areopagitica at the rare book library at UI Bloomington, and thought of a quick smash-n-grab.  My Complete Works is doubled in weight by all the post-its and book marks sticking out of it.  I can't seem to go more than a couple of months without pulling it off the shelf and reading sections of essays and PL.

I remember, from the class I took with one of the greatest professors ever, the conversation about the connection between "When I Consider..." (the poem in the Writers Almanac, which isn't actually called "On His Blindness," so I don't now why they use that) and "How Soon Hath Time," written 20 years prior.  It's like he knew what was coming...or maybe he was just lamenting his consistent not-getting-any.  

How  Soon Hath Time

How soon hat Time, the subtle thief of youth, 
  Stol'n on his wing my three and twentieth year!
  My hasting days fly on with full career,
  But my late spring no bud or blossom show'th.
Perhaps my semblance might deceive the truth,
  That I to manhood am arriv'd so near,
  And inward ripeness doth much less appear,
  That some more timely-happy spirits endu'th.  
Yet be it less or more, or soon or slow,
  It shall be still in strictest measure ev'n,
  To that same lot, however mean or high,
Toward which Time leads me, and the will of Heav'n; 
  All is, if I have my graces to use it so,
  As Ever in my great task-Master's eye.  

*
Oh.  Oh.  There's an event tonight:


Venue: Bowery Poetry Club
Price; $7
Times: Next Sunday, Dec 16 1:30pm
Address: 308 Bowery between Bleecker and Houston Sts East Village
Phone:212-614-0505
Travel: Subway: B, D, F, V to Broadway–Lafayette St; 6 to Bleecker St
Website: bowerypoetry.com

Three poets share the bill at today’s gathering—Aracelis Girmay (Teeth), Ada Limon (Lucky Wreck, This Big Fake World) and Abraham Smith (9L contributor & the forthcoming Whim Man Mammon).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts