Tuesday, July 17, 2007

More Summer

I've been woken up at least 5 times in the last month from Mid-West storms, unlike any other rain I've ever seen (except maybe in Nantucket). Beautiful lighting and what not.

Been watching this cat for the last few days while Ms. Lillian is over at Centrum making them all cry. CAT:

Ain't he something? I think he has abnormally short legs, but he's quick. We've been watching movies together. Neither of us like Ghost Rider very much, and he left Marie Antoinette about 10 minutes in to lick himself under the dining room table. He made the right move...I napped at about an hour a half in.

With summer seems to come too much television. With a new roommate until Aug. 1st, we have cable. So I was sucked into the Godfather the other night, and tore myself away kicking and screaming from Godfather II. All the while, they're showing commercials for Goodfellas, and it got me thinking. For years I loved the latter. But a while back I sat down and watched the entire set of the former, and so Goodfellas has been on the wane since.
The thing is, when I watch Hank Hill, Jimmy and Tommy, I know I'm watching a bunch of villans. All violence and what-not aside, I think I'm really bothered by how Hill crosses Paulie, who tells him over and over not to get involved with drugs.
You see, Vito Corleione warned all the bosses in the first one about the dangers of getting involved with narcotics. That's neither here nor there. The point is, I think I find the Godfather to be a better story, simply because I feel like I trust the guys; the only ones who die are the people who cross the family--Carlo sets up Sonny and so is killed in the car; Tessio is killed for trying to set it up so Michael gets killed; Fredo is killed for ratting on this brother to Roth. I'm not saying the violence is good or anything. I'm just saying, I understand. Michael's only intention is to legitimize the Corleione Family Business. Hill's only goal was to keep making money behind the family's back. He had it coming...the rat.

It also dawned on me that my brother's girlfriend looks a lot like Apollonia Vitelli-Corleone, played by Simonetta Stefanelli.

Anyway, it's been on my mind, so I'm just saying.
I'm gonna try to finish the Sean Doughtery book tonight.

Update: didn't finish book, woken by another storm.
Update #2: Dig this interview with Sean Thomas Doughtery at Bookslut.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts