Monday, September 17, 2007

Yeah. Not a Problem.

We, as MFA students in the program at UIUC, have funding that isn't too shabby at all. In fact, it seems that all I owe the U at the beginning of every semester is something like $460. Not so bad, considering the paycheck, medical, waiver, and my 2 free teeth cleanings a year. I like it.

What I don't like: getting an email from the University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations that begins "We appreciate your business!" They then would like me to take a survey so they know what I think of "their services."

A. I don't really know what they do other than process the fees. They don't cut my check; payroll does--and with spectacular attention to the 16th of every month.

B. I don't like thinking of my work at the University as "business" that they "appreciate." I didn't buy a car from them. (Further, last winter the heat was broken in my office until mid January.)

C. Is anything I say on that survey going to make a difference? Perhaps that "cashier operations" makes something relatively simple sound like it's a major job? I was an expert in all operations expected by a cashier at age 17 (that snarky comment brought to you by the Virgin MegaStore in Carl Place, NY).

I know that the University is a "business," just like all of higher education. I am aware of the corporatization of education in America, and that it isn't really a meritocracy at all--SO many people out there teaching poorly, not caring about their students, etc.

I'd just rather not be reminded by the fee processing office. Thanks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts