Friday, August 29, 2008

Suburban Wildlife



This bird was chilling in the creek under the bus stop. I also saw some killer groundhogs the other day, and a deer a few nights ago standing in the little piece of grass between the sidewalk and the street.  I was impressed, but am told that that kinda thing happens all the time, and deer are actually pretty pesky.  I don't know, but it's kinda neat to see animals all over the place.

The job isn't so mindless as the week's gone on, but I've still been writing like crazy.  It's a familiar old groove that I really like being in.  The only lame thing is that the building I'm in lacks elevators.  They're installing them, but that's just blocking off entire hallways, so one must go from the third floor on one side of the building, down to the first, then cut across down there, and go back up to 3 where one actually needs to be.  So, tiring.  But my calves are feeling mighty.  

a poem from William Matthews:

What You Need

Suppose you want to leave your life,
that old ring in the tub,
behind?

It closes cozily
as a clerk's hand,
a coin with fingers.

You hate it
the same way the drunken son
loves Mother.

You will need pain
heaving under you 
like frost ruining the new road.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts